Monday, June 18, 2012

Mackinac Island

summer vacation boat





Last summer I spent a week in a place I have been many times before mostly in photos and shared memories. Mackinac Island, Michigan. It all started when my Great-Grandpa's school - he was principal - took a day trip to the island. He later brought his wife and son (my grandpa) there and ever since the tiny island has been a treasured vacation spot for my family. For that week last summer it was just my mom, my aunt, my cousin and me. A lovely girls trip.

The island is 8 miles in circumference and 3.8 square miles total area. It's also bursting at the seems with history. Which I wont get into... because other people's vacation photos are already boring enough.

Going to Mackinac is like going back in time. Seriously, everyone gets around by horse or bike. No cars allowed! And everyone is absurdly nice. Its a total culture shock for this city dweller.

Mackinac Island horses Main street


 I thought I'd share some photos from my trip last summer. I took hundreds. Here are a few.

Mackinac Island Fort


Mackinac Island Bat
Bats are EVERYWHERE. We woke up one morning to this little guy sleeping on our balcony. During the day you can see them hanging all over the place. At night they fly around and get all up in your business... they are not afraid of people. Marvelous.

Mackinac Island Candy shop main street
Mackinac Island light house dock
Mackinac Island Arch Rock
I'm going back a week from today and I can't wait!!!

3 comments:

  1. Great photos, especially the last one! I don't know if I could deal with the friendly bats :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sugarthesky!!

    Ohhhh the bats... definitely not my favorite part of Mackinac. But they are kind of cute when they are sleeping, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am now super excited about going! My husband and I are celebrating our 5 year anniversary in August by going there. I've lived in the UP nearly all my life and believe it or not I've never been there!

    Blogging Buddies Team
    http://heversonart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete